Re: [opensuse-packaging] Where to define some rpm macros needed by many packages?
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 17:48:29 +0200
Le lundi 09 août 2010, à 14:41 +0200, Lubos Lunak a écrit :
On Saturday 07 of August 2010, Vincent Untz wrote:
Le samedi 07 août 2010, à 15:31 +0200, Cristian Morales Vega a écrit :
2010/8/7 Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
 + when installing an icon in the hicolor theme, gtk-update-icon-cache
  should be called

Wasn't decided it was a bad idea (https://bugzilla.novell.com/395056
and related, plus
http://old-en.opensuse.org/Packaging/Scriptlet_Snippets#GTK.2B_icon_cache
)? GTK should be fixed instead? KDE doesn't needs anything similar...

SuSEconfig is not called if zypper is used, so the old way doesn't work.
And we use this in GTK+ to improve performance. If somebody knows how to
improve performance when looking for icons without using this cache, I'd
be happy to talk to upstream about changing this.

You could update the cache on-demand, as KDE does, instead of running it
from
SuSEconfig (which is actually sometimes pretty annoying on a KDE system with
few rarely-used Gtk apps).

I'm sorry, can you elaborate:

+ when you say "on-demand", do I understand right that you are talking
about a user cache, and not a system-wide cache? (FWIW, upstream
prefers a system-wide cache for this)

+ why it SuSEconfig annoying on a KDE system with few rarely-used GTK+
apps? It it SuSEconfig itself? Is it gtk-update-icon-cache? Is it
because people have to manually run it? Is it because it takes time
after installing packages?

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.