Re: [opensuse-packaging] Where to define some rpm macros needed by many packages?
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 16:09:23 +0200
Le samedi 07 août 2010, à 15:31 +0200, Cristian Morales Vega a écrit :
2010/8/7 Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi,

I'm facing three cases where many packages should do something in
%post/%postun but usually don't do anything because it's some manual
work, and I want to provide macros to make it easier to fix this.

The three cases are:

 + when installing a .desktop file, update-desktop-database should be
  called

I should reverify, but I think KDE ignores it (it has its own MIME
cache and has to look at .desktop files anyway for the
"InitialPreference" field). There is something really using it?

At least all the glib-based world uses it. I could change the question
to this one: "What doesn't use it except KDE?" :-)

 + when installing an icon in the hicolor theme, gtk-update-icon-cache
  should be called

Wasn't decided it was a bad idea (https://bugzilla.novell.com/395056
and related, plus
http://old-en.opensuse.org/Packaging/Scriptlet_Snippets#GTK.2B_icon_cache)?
GTK should be fixed instead? KDE doesn't needs anything similar...

SuSEconfig is not called if zypper is used, so the old way doesn't work.
And we use this in GTK+ to improve performance. If somebody knows how to
improve performance when looking for icons without using this cache, I'd
be happy to talk to upstream about changing this.

(Btw, the best long-term solution is some trigger in rpm when a file get
installed in a directory, but I've been waiting for this for a long time
and I don't see it moving...)

I didn't look at them in detail, but aren't "Collections"
(http://lists.opensuse.org/zypp-devel/2010-06/msg00004.html) what's
needed?

Could work, but I'm unsure if it's okay to have collections that cover
all packages?

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.