Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: Extending Package Policy [was: A question about python naming]
  • From: dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 11:55:22 +0200
Hello,

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010, Dave Plater wrote:
* %python_sitelib expands to /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages. This
is the install location for platform-independent modules.
* %python_sitearch expands to %{_libdir}/pythonX.Y/site-packages,
that is, either /usr/lib or /usr/lib64, depending on your architecture.
This is the install location for platform-dependent modules.

I'm not sure what a platform dependent python file is, this needs an
explanation. All scripts must be noarch, therefore a .py file would go
in %python_sitelib, which files would go into %python_sitearch?

Any .so or other binary(!), specifically compiled for a specific arch
should go into _sitearch, any non-arch-specific (which includes *.pyc
and AFAIK *.pyo, those are version specific, not arch specific) into
_sitelib.

Just run
find $(rpm --eval '%python_sitelib') -name '*.so*'
find $(rpm --eval '%python_sitearch') -name '*.so*'

If all is well, the first command should output nothing, the latter
should output e.g.
.../site-packages/Crypto/Cipher/AES.so
.../site-packages/Numeric/umath.so
.../site-packages/pygame/joystick.so

You get the idea?

HTH,
-dnh

--
I refer to garlic as "the element without which life as we know it would be
impossible." Personally I believe that the garlic myth was started by vampires