Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: Extending Package Policy [was: A question about python naming]
  • From: Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 09:20:52 +0200
On 06/18/2010 02:52 PM, Jan Matejek wrote:
as for the python naming policy, the wiki page seems pretty clear on that:
"All python **modules**, whether pure python or C-based, should be
called python-modulename.
This policy doesn't apply to end-user applications written in python."
(from http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging/Python#Naming_policy )
Emphasis added - the naming policy only applies to python modules, i.e.
packages that provide functionality to other python programs. It does
not apply to programs that only happen to install into python's hierarchy.

Yes this is vague, if a python module had been likened to a shared lib I
would have understood immediately but now I understand after reading
over a few times.
I've also stumbled upon the "Fixing python install paths" part of
"Packaging/Fixing" and it is clear to me that the packages own install's
default was correct in installing the py files to %python_sitelib. This
also needs clarification in "Packaging/Python" or a link to the
"Packaging/Fixing" part.
Regards
Dave P