Re: [opensuse-packaging] Extending Package Policy [was: A question about python naming]
  • From: Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:04:41 +0200
On 06/18/2010 09:33 AM, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
On 6/18/2010 at 9:09, Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi, after reading replies to my "need help with rpmlint" email to this
list, I found the packaging/python wiki and used python macros in the
spec file. I'm still confused about the rpmlint warning :-
ffado.x86_64: W: python-naming-policy-not-applied
/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/ffado/mixer/quatafire.ui
This package doesn't respect the naming policy for python packages. Its name
should match the regular expression ^python(-|$).

IMHO in this case the warning is a warning and as such is not fatal
(otherwise it would be an error, like shlib naming policy).

If you check for example the build log for openSUSE:Tools/osc, you'll see
that this has the exact same warning.

As outlined in a previous mail: The naming policy is meant to declare that
this is a package providing some goodies for developers coding in python.
Something, which I think does not apply to your package (also not to osc), as
they are 'end user tools.

It seems a bit silly seeing that the files are under
/python%py_ver/site-packages anyway.
As such: either ignore the message or add a rpmlintrc to suppress it (and I'm
rather sure that entering Factory will not be stopped by that later
on).

But I agree: the packaging policy needs an update here, stating when and why
the python-prefix needs to be in a package; otherwise we'll never have a
clear consensus to give out to our packagers to get this resolved.

@Pavol: if I remember right you were largely involved in most of the
packaging policies, maybe you can shed some light on this as well?

Dominique

I think an rpmlintrc is best as I can also make a comment about why it's
there.
Regards
Dave P