Re: [opensuse-packaging] mounting /var/run as tmpfs
  • From: Dave Plater <dplater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 18:02:38 +0200
On 05/03/2010 05:34 PM, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Montag 03 Mai 2010 schrieb Dave Plater:

Am I wrong or is this going to cause a serious problem for poor people
like me with only a gig of ram who do dvd work with programs that
default to /tmp for temporary files?

Noone is saying that /var/run _has_ to be on tmpfs. What we say is that
a) packages should be able to cope with it
b) that it _might_ be a future feature to default to it under certain
conditions (as in 11.3+)

And /tmp in ram was just a side note. Packages should cope with that too,
but defining good defaults for that will be hard.

Greetings, Stephan

Sorry I've nothing against /var/run although in my unqualified opinion,
it should rather be ramfs which wouldn't need to have a large initial
size. /tmp being mounted as either ramfs or tmpfs would need a lot of
changes in programs that use tmp for large files like dvds for instance
moving to /var/tmp.
Regards
Dave P