Re: [opensuse-packaging] Library packaging question
  • From: Michael Matz <matz@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 18:22:45 +0100 (CET)
Hi,

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010, Dave Plater wrote:

I will follow the blender developers decisions because that's the
package I maintain, the reason for building the shared libraries in the
first place was because the developer of the blender collada section was
using shared libraries. They also have a prebuilt dll for their ms
windows build.

Meanwhile, before I start searching for static lib packaging policies,
is building blender against the static libraries and including them in
the blender rpm ok?

You don't need to include them. Perhaps in a -devel package when you
expect _other_ people to use libCOLLADA too. Having said this, I think
all the suggestions here to use static libs are a bit hasty. You first
need to determine if those "libraries" aren't actually plugins. The
naming (and missing soname) at least suggest this. If they are plugins
then making them static libs simply won't work without major other work.

Hence, you need to determine this before. If they turn out to be plugins,
you simply need to package them into a non-libdir directory private to
COLLADA (and need to make the changes in there to make it find those
plugins in that directory). In that case you also don't need to add
version suffixes. A SONAME still would be good to have but isn't that
terribly necessary either anymore.

Ciao,
Michael.