Re: [opensuse-packaging] How do I create a directory in $HOME on installation
  • From: houghi <houghi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 12:22:50 +0100
On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 08:42:09AM +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Montag, 2. November 2009 08:27:09 schrieb Dave Plater:
Hi, I need to create a directory in the users homes on rpm installation,
can anybody point me in the right direction?

This is horrible evil and can't work in all cases (for example if root has no
write access to the home directory of the user, like with remote homes on NFS
and friends).

Or if you add users after the installation

We have mechanisms to create directories on desktop start, but it is usually
better when your application handles this itself.

That would be the best option. What you could do is also add the directory
to /etc/skel. This might be gaining time if a lot needs to be placed the
first time in that directory. If you do that a new user will have the
required directory in his ~/.

However there must be a check in the program to see if the directory exists
and if not, it must be made with the apropriate files. So the /etc/skel is
additional to what you must do anyway and one can wonder if it is needed
at all.

houghi