Re: [opensuse-packaging] RPM Summit Summary
  • From: yersinia <yersinia.spiros@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 09:16:48 +0200
On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 1:35 AM, Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009, yersinia wrote:

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I've written a short summary[1] about RPM Summit that was part of this
year's openSUSE Conference. The changes are not affecting us at the moment,
but they will, once they are implemented in upstream and we adopt the new
RPM version in our distribution.

The new rpm version that you quote is http://www.rpm.org, with a bunch a
opensuselocal patch - not sharp criticism,just a matter of fact. So,tell
that you follow "upstream" is not so true. Other version of rpm, everyone
know that exists and who is the maintainer, were not considered : there are
good reasons for this, I suppose. I just hope this are technical not
political reason.

I thought that with openSUSE going to rpm 4.7.1 that we are extremely close
to using upstream RPM. I do not think I saw many patches to it in the logs
posted for factory changes(opensuse-commit@xxxxxxxxxxxx).

So I think this statement is correct.

I have looked to the sources from Build Factory

wget
http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/src-oss/suse/src/rpm-4.7.1-5.8.src.rpm
rpm2cpio rpm-4.7.1-5.8.src.rpm | cpio -ic --make-directories
grep -c "^Patch" *.spec

Result of last grep
61

Regards