[opensuse-packaging] Rebuilding in OBS
  • From: Magnus Boman <captain.magnus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 09:59:55 +1000
Hello,

For the past months it's been really difficult to contribute to package
updates since I only have time to help out on weekends. This boils down
to commits going in to oS:F, and my pet project (GNOME:Factory) is
basically always blocked waiting for oS:F to build.
Trying to build a package locally, is not all that easy, as recently,
osc tells me, more often than not, that it can't find a package on a
mirror nor in OBS so the local build is aborted.

Now, I understand that we want to rebuild packages etc, and I also
understand that weekends are the most appropriate time to this.

The way OBS rebuilds packages seems a little bit paranoid to me though
and I would like to ask the question if we can do it better.

So, this is the workflow (AFAIK):

1. I branch a package from G:F, it ends up in my home and basically the
content of it is a _link (since I have not changed anything yet)
2. I update the package and commit (now, I have a project.diff)
3. I submit the package to G:F
4. The package is accepted into G:F (G:F will now contain _link and
project.diff, while the package in my home is back to being a _link)
5. The package is submitted from G:F to oS:F (and lets say accepted into
oS:F). G:F will now be _link, and the package in my home is _link. In
oS:F, it's all the files this package contains of

Now, what will happen is:

* When I do 1, OBS wants to build the package in my home

* In step 4 (when package have been accepted), OBS will want to build
the package in both my home and in G:F

* In step 5, OBS will want to build the package in oS:F, G:F and my home

My thinking:

In this scenario, my home, G:F and oS:F all use the same build
dependencies, so when a package is a _link, can't OBS just copy the
content from the linked package instead of having to rebuild it
completely in all these different places?

Cheers,
Magnus