Re: [opensuse-packaging] Automatic Dependencies of libraries
  • From: Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 00:44:23 +0200
2009/8/18 Dominique Leuenberger <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
i'm a bit scared by this. What would happen if libvcdinfo could be compiled
without iso9660 support, but during my  build time was build with the
support?
then my resulting lib has a dependency (by rpm) to libvcdinfo, the .so itself
lists libiso9660 when checking with ldd, but the libvcdinfo I install
(a later rebuild without the iso9660 support) was built without that support,
it's going to break.

I think the whole confusion is because of ldd. ldd does *not* lists
the needed dependencies of a library, it lists the whole library
dependency tree in the *current* system. ldd output for the same file
can be different in different machines.

To obtain the list of libraries really needed by libvcdx_plugin.so you
can use "readelf -d libvcdx_plugin.so" | fgrep NEEDED or "objdump -p
libvcdx_plugin.so | fgrep NEEDED". Just that in openSUSE 11.1 that
lists includes libraries that... yes, if aren't available the library
will fail to load, but then its code isn't used at all. In openSUSE
11.2 that lists only includes libraries that are *really* needed/used.