Re: [opensuse-packaging] /etc/modprobe.* changes
  • From: Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 16:41:48 +0200
Jean Delvare napsal(a):
Hi Michal,

Le mercredi 18 mars 2009, Michal Marek a écrit :
Dominique Leuenberger napsal(a):
I was though wondering what importance / function the number 50 has.
I assume it is sort of priorization? Can you elaborate on this please?
It's just a number between 00-system.conf and 99-local.conf, it doesn't
have to be exactly 50 if you don't like it, but you should use a
two-digit prefix to that the files are read in a sensible order.

As this is a SUSE-specific policy, this seems impractical for tools
which aren't SUSE-specific. There's no reason to name configuration
files that way for upstream, which means we'll have to carry a patch
around forever for such tools.

Does this really matter in practice? Do you really expect conflicting
configuration files so the order matters? If a user wants to change a
setting, I'd rather have them edit the right configuration file than
add custom settings to 99-local.conf.

Basically, if adding the number is a problem and conflicts are not
realistic, then feel free to omit the number. The .conf extension is
required though.

Michal