[opensuse-packaging] hal moved from from /usr/lib64/hal/ to /usr/lib/hal/, or --libexecdir on x86_64 should not be /usr/lib64/<pkgname>/
  • From: Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 22:07:15 +0200
Hey,
just a note, that HAL changed the location of its --libexecdir to be
always in /usr/lib/hal and not in /usr/lib64/hal, regardless of the
architecture it is running on.

A few packages which drop files into the hal callout directories need to
change their file list from %{_libdir} to %{prefix}/lib/hal now. It's a
bit inconvenient, but we should fix all that now, and in the future
applications who need to drop callouts, can just expect a well-defined
location of these directories instead of some needlessly arch-dependent
location to install.

If you own a package which places its private directory
in /usr/lib64/<pkgname>/, please consider moving it
to /usr/lib/<pkgname>.

Libexecdir is usually used for binaries which are used by the package
and which should not be included in $PATH, and for directories to
install callouts.

The --libexecdir follows the same logic as --bindir, we do not have
a /usr/bin64, therefore we should not have a /usr/lib64/<pkgname>/
directory.

Package private directories are defined by LSB as:
"Applications may use a single subdirectory under /usr/lib. If an
application uses a subdirectory, all architecture-dependent data
exclusively used by the application must be placed within that
subdirectory."
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

Thanks,
Kay