[opensuse-packaging] Another side effect of opening factory
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 13:51:59 +0200
Hi,

As we disable the package database, there is one rather important change that
I only figured the importance of today:

So far the spec files are rewritten to use the texts and attributes from the
package database
a) when checked in factory
b) when building

Both steps will be disabled in the future, we still will do some formatting,
but we won't take any attributes (AFAIK) so the spec file contains the master
information.

So there are consequences out of this:
1) we have quite some spec files that haven't been checked in a while and as
b) is disabled, they will use old informations when building.
2) we have quite some packages that are creating placeholders into summary and
description and relying on a) to create useful spec files. This will no
longer be the case.

For 1) I did some scripting to find out where the differences are
if I would sr all packages _NOW_ (while pdb is still active). The
list of changes is impressive, but I will filter out less important
cases (e.g. where only the changelog is affected - as this will still be
reformated in the future): http://www.suse.de/~coolo/spec_patches/
We may end up checkin in these diffs without spamming opensuse-commit,
just so you know if your branched package broke (IMO it's very unlikely
it will as this affects mostly packages without active development).

For 2) you need to act: if your spec file is generated from a vcs, then
you need to merge texts and attributes back into the template. If you have
a package using a script to generate the spec file, then you need to
enhance the script.

Greetings, Stephan