Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Important osc version 0.119 release !
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 17:07:18 +0200
Am Dienstag, 16. Juni 2009 16:44:05 schrieb Vincent Untz:
Hi,

Le mardi 16 juin 2009, à 15:13 +0200, Adrian Schröter a écrit :
The new osc version 0.119 is released and available in the openSUSE:Tools
project.

Can you make sure it enters openSUSE:Factory too? Would be better to
have a working osc experience out of the box ;-)

it is on the way ...

Command UI changes
==================

osc submitreq create -> osc submitreq
osc submitreq accept/decline/show/revoke -> osc request accept/...
osc submitreq delete -> osc request wipe
osc deletepac -> osc delete or osc rdelete
osc deleteprj -> osc rdelete
osc rlog -> osc log
osc rprjresults -> osc prjresults
osc rresults -> osc results
osc req -> osc api
osc rebuildpac -> osc rebuild

Hrm. I didn't see the thread about this, but I would have also mentioned
that breaking the UI for this isn't really a good thing. Sure, it'll be
necessary at some point, but I don't agree it was necessary for those
new features. Some complete redesign would probably have been better,
since we're probably keeping some bad UI.

Eg:
- renaming rebuildpac but not copypac or linkpac is a bit weird.
- remotebuildlog while we have rdelete, rdiff, etc. (sure, rbuildlog
is an alias, but then why keep remotebuildlog?)
- we have results, but buildlog, buildinfo, buildconfig, etc.? I would
have expected buildresults

(so my main issue is that we're breaking the UI now, and we'll probably
have to break it again later)

We think that these changes avoid exactly that we need to break request
handling commands again. But keeping the old ones would create conflicts again
and again.

Also, why not keep the old commands for compatibility when possible (ie,
not for req)? Was this difficult for some reason, or was it just lack of
time?

The thread was on opensuse-buildservice when the 0.118/9 beta versions where
announced.

We kept the old commands where it caused no conflicts, but we wanted to have a
UI which can be conflict free in future in first place.

It was basically conflicts or inconsitencies. For example the word "delete"
should do similar things in different contexts.

Replies please to opensuse-buildservice ml only for this thread.

bye
adrian

--

Adrian Schroeter