Re: [opensuse-packaging] games group and setgid
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:44:18 +0100
Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
How is the games group supposed to be used?
Tower Toppler want to set itself in the games group with setgid set so
it can write on a global hiscore file also set at games group. It
seems ok to me, but rpmlint complains about the setgid.

As the message hopefully tells you setuid/setgid applications need to be
reviewed by the security team (if you intend to put this in Factory):
http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging/Security_Policies

I'd not recommend to use setgid games anymore. This has always been
a source of pain in the past. IMO just don't enable that feature by
default and store highscores only per user in $HOME by default.

Should I ignore rpmlint or it is correct and users able to play games
are supposed to be in the games group to start with? If my memory

No.

cu
Ludwig

--