[opensuse-packaging] 11-check-pkgconfig-deps issues
  • From: Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 15:28:30 -0300
Hi ;-)

11-check-pkgconfig-deps has some issues, that causes increasing package
dependency bloat. let say we have packages X, Y, Z where Z is being
checked by this script.

Z : Requires Y that provides Y.pc
Y: Requires X that provides X.pc

when Z is checked, it complains that there is a missing Require on X
which is not really correct,and will led packagers to add X as a
dependency of Z and on.. and on.. and on... over the whole dependency
tree..thing that will of course end in a unfixable mess as time passes,
as dependencies are always added but never removed in this case,even
when some intermediate package doesn't use a particular library or
component anymore.

The second issue, is that this script does not account Requires.private
that should be taken in consideration _only_ when the package contains
static libraries, the really bad news is that pkgconfig is utterly
broken handling Requires.private and doesnt really do the right thing
either :-(

Fixing this issues will make this check a bit more useful, but will
still let a lot of stuff to be fixed, including most pkgconfig scripts
that are frequently broken as well :-|

--
"If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed" -George Carlin
(1937-2008)

Cristian Rodríguez R.
Software Developer
Platform/OpenSUSE - Core Services