Re: [opensuse-packaging] Changelogs need changes?
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 18:44:49 +0100
Le mercredi 25 février 2009, à 18:13 +0100, anicka@xxxxxxx a écrit :
As a packager, I don't want to include all those details in .changes. As
a reviewer, I need access to those details. (note that they don't have
to be in .changes as long as I have easy access to them)

If you want to do your reviewer's work that well now, you MUST read upstream
changelog anyway.

Why? Because nobody promises you that the maintainer will evaluate any
particular new feature as an important one - he might just list another ten
(maybe even more) important changes and if you read only .changes, you might
miss that one that is interesting for you.

In GNOME:Factory, we put all the new content of NEWS in .changes. And
GNOME modules are doing a relatively good job at writing an informative
NEWS file. So the person who will do the update will put what needs to
be put in .changes anyway. Which is why, as a reviewer of G:F, no, the
upstream changelog is often not necessary.

Also, it all depends on the person who submits the update: we have a
few contributor in the GNOME team who we know well, so we trust them to
put the right content in .changes -- but it's always hard for
non-upstream people to understand some changes. If it's some random
person that submits an update, then sure, I'll check the ChangeLog/NEWS
from the tarball.

Anyway, I think I'm just pointing out the fact that if we remove this
information from .changes, it's important to have an easy access to it
during the package review step. (which sounds possible if we provide
easy access to it from rpm -q --changelog)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.