Re: [opensuse-packaging] Changelogs need changes?
  • From: Richard Guenther <rguenther@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:52:55 +0100 (CET)
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Juergen Weigert wrote:

On Feb 24, 09 17:28:53 +0100, Richard Guenther wrote:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Juergen Weigert wrote:

On Feb 24, 09 16:55:27 +0100, anicka@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hello!

I would like to discuss here one aspect of our changelog policy.

Unlike other distributions, we have an unusual rule for our RPM
changelogs
(.changes file): when updating to the new version, we must process an
upstream
changelog and copy the most important things to RPM changelog. I would
like to
discuss this policy and its problems and benefits.

I completely agree with Anicka.

$ rpm -q --changelog
is a useful tool for *really* comparing packages.
Often the pakage version number is unchanged, but an important patch was
added. In this case, our changelog is the only source of information.

For version updates, the full upstream changelog is relevant.
Shortening to a 10 line excerpt may cut away the one bit of information
that
a user wanted to know.

I'd suggest to allow a URL-reference to the upstream changelog
as replacement for the excerpt.

I don't agree with you at all. In the rpm changelog 'Update to new
upstream version 1.2.3' is short and enough. If a packager adds
local patches this needs to be (and is) mentioned in the rpm
changelog.

I did not mean to say that the full upstream changelog should be in our
changelog. My point is that an excerpt is dubious, as it is both too noisy
and too crippled. If we can agree that simply stating the version-number
is good enough, fine with me. Although a pointer to upstream would still be
no harm.

What I would like to see (and I see we are atm pretty bad at it) is
to enforce a basic set of documentation for each package that is
put in /usr/share/doc/packages/$NAME. In this place there
belongs 1) license information (for legal reasons even),
2) upstream provided README / NEWS / ChangeLog (which one of those
are relevant or even useful varies heavily from package to package,
so it's up to the maintainer to choose). 3) if there is SUSE specific
modifications, like configuration changes, there should be a
README.SUSE file.

This requires to have the package installed first.
I'd like to give the user as much information as possible before he
installs.

Well. I think the version number together with the package
description is enough. Of course with a custom tool (zypper?) it
should be easy to extract /usr/doc/packages/$NAME/$whatever and
display it without installing the package. Of course you need
to download it first - but this is needed for the changelog anyway.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <rguenther@xxxxxxx>
Novell / SUSE Labs