Re: [opensuse-packaging] Desktop categories: mismatch in brp-desktop and rpmlint
  • From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 15:07:50 +0100
Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Dienstag 17 Februar 2009 schrieb Vincent Untz:

Us: we can stop tweaking the categories of all desktop files to try to
make them appear at the right place, and just let upstream do it the
right way. It's a real pain right now... Especially since sometimes, you
don't even notice that your .desktop file doesn't even appear
anywhere (happened to me last week, after a package update).
From my experience: upstream does not care how a merged menu looks like. The
xteddy author only checks in fvwm's menu, gnome upstream only checks if a
gnome menu alone looks ok, same for kde upstream. and it doesn't matter to
either of them if they use the categories the same way.

Purpose of Freedesktop design: Upstream should care about Categories,
downstream should care about Categories -> menu mapping. In an ideal
case everything should work out of the box for all applications.

In a real world it does not. We should:
- Push our Categories fixes to upstream.
- Help upstream to display correctly in all menus.
- We need a way to change the specification, if it will be needed.
- learn upstream to call desktop-file-validate (or even implement this
in e. g. INTLTOOL_DESKTOP_RULE (in /usr/share/aclocal/intltool.m4).

Because "System"
doesn't mean the same to everyone. So I think it will create a regression to
the user with little gain for us.

That is why there is a specification:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

--