[opensuse-packaging] Who should own a directory that is used by many packages?
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 13:14:02 +0100
Hi,

In the GNOME world, we have a few directories that are used by quite a
few packages to put some files. Two examples are

/usr/share/gnome/help
/usr/share/gtk-doc

The thing is that the first one is "owned" by libgnome and the second
one is owned by gtk-doc. However, now, many packages don't need libgnome
and still put files in /usr/share/gnome/help and it's bad to require the
gtk-doc package at runtime only to have /usr/share/gtk-doc existing.

So, how can we handle this case? Should we create some package like the
filesystem one that would contain the common directories for GNOME
stuff? Is it okay to add GNOME-related directories to the filesystem
package? Or should we just be happy with having all packages owning a
part of those directories?

Thanks,

Vincent

--