Re: [opensuse-packaging] Desktop categories: mismatch in brp-desktop and rpmlint
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:06:00 +0100
Am Montag 26 Januar 2009 schrieb Michal Vyskocil:
Hi,

I have a problem with a desktop file. The upstream one has

Categories=Application;AudioVideo;

but brp-desktop stops the build with Insufficient Category.

ERROR: No sufficient Category definition: /var/tmp/playitslowly-1.1.0-
build//usr/share/applications/playitslowly.desktop
Errors in installed desktop file detected. Please mail stbinner@xxxxxxx, if
you think this is wrong.
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.79930 (%install)

So I changed it according SUSE Packaging Conventions [1] to

Categories=Multimedia;Player;AudioVideo;AudioVideoPlayer;

but now I got a rpmlint warning:
playitslowly.x86_64: W: invalid-desktopfile
/usr/share/applications/playitslowly.desktop value
"Multimedia;Player;AudioVideo;AudioVideoPlayer;" for key "Categories" in
group "Desktop Entry" contains an unregistered value "Multimedia"; values
extending the format should start with "X-"
/tmp/playitslowly-1.1.0-1.x86_64.rpm.23739/usr/share/applications/playitslo
wly.desktop: .desktop file is not valid, check with desktop-file-validate

So what should be in Categories which will pass brp-desktop and rpmlint
checks? And is there any reason why we have a double check of the same
thing?

It's not the same. rpmlint checks if the .desktop file is correct according to
the xdg standard (e.g. lists only valid categories).

brp-desktop checks if the desktop file will map to one of our menu structures.
And according to /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu the category is
X-SuSE-Core-Multimedia, but AudiVideo already maps there.

Greetings, Stephan