Re: [opensuse-packaging] repository purge behaviour (was repository removal behaviour)
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 10:15:07 +0100
On 11/28/2008 at 9:52 AM, Jean Delvare <jdelvare@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Le jeudi 27 novembre 2008, Cristian Rodríguez a écrit :
Philip Ashmore escribió:
so that
the effects of installing any packages from that repository is
rolled back.

AFAIK, there is no such feature, and really I fail to see the need
of it.

I do. When I am asked for example to give a try to KDE from Factory
to see if a particular bug has already been fixed there, I would
like to be able to return to the initial state of things when I am
done with the testing, as I don't want to keep using a snapshot of
Factory's KDE forever and I also don't want to have to update my KDE
every week (otherwise I'd be using Factory as my distribution in the
first place.)

This is a need not required by 'default' system users but only for very
rare cases. Investing time in this sounds afwully wrong!

On the other hand, what actually CAN help you (it's an abuse, but it
does what you look for):
zypper dup

It actually checks to have installed only packages from the currently
installed repositories, dropping packages which would no longer exist.
I'm pretty sure in most cases it will do exactly what you expect in this
situation.

(BEWARE! This is for sure not it's meant way and it might have obscure
side-effects... I take no liability and the rest you know... it might
fry your toaster, burn your hard disk, crash your car, and so on).

Dominique