Re: [opensuse-packaging] repository purge behaviour (was repository removal behaviour)
  • From: Jean Delvare <jdelvare@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:52:31 +0100
Le jeudi 27 novembre 2008, Cristian Rodríguez a écrit :
Philip Ashmore escribió:
so that
the effects of installing any packages from that repository is rolled back.

AFAIK, there is no such feature, and really I fail to see the need of it.

I do. When I am asked for example to give a try to KDE from Factory
to see if a particular bug has already been fixed there, I would
like to be able to return to the initial state of things when I am
done with the testing, as I don't want to keep using a snapshot of
Factory's KDE forever and I also don't want to have to update my KDE
every week (otherwise I'd be using Factory as my distribution in the
first place.)

Now I'm not saying it is easy to implement. I don't know enough
about packaging in general to comment on that. But that would
certainly be a useful feature to have. Users would be more willing to
help us with testing specific repositories if they knew they can
easily go back to their initial system state afterwards.

--
Jean Delvare
Suse L3