Re: [opensuse-packaging] sysprof removed?
  • From: Hans Petter Jansson <hpj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:52:13 -0500
On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 10:54 +0200, Dirk Mueller wrote:
On Thursday 10 April 2008, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:

Is it the same general format as the dist mails I get to hpj@xxxxxxx? I
get ~100 of those on some days, usually one per change per product per
architecture, e.g:

Many thanks for posting internal email to a public mailing list.

Dirk, if I weren't more familiar with the language barrier you face, I'd
think you were being sarcastic!

That was part of a mail sent to me by a script building a GPL package I
maintain in a public Linux distribution. It contains no secrets
whatsoever.

That aside, I'm not sure it's good process to assume you can drop
someone else's package if he fails to respond to a generated mail. For a
decision like that, it might be better to require the maintainer's
explicit consent, to make sure he's in the loop - and not on vacation or
otherwise missing mails.

How do you expect to get maintainers consent if the maintainer is a group of
people, and none of them answering?

Well, usually you poke the responsible person or persons directly. For
instance: "Hey, could you sign off on this package drop, please?
Thanks."

Most likely, you wouldn't have to do that if the involved parties knew
the process was opt-in, though.

--
Hans Petter