[opensuse-packaging] Questions regarding branding policy
  • From: Dirk Mueller <dmueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:07:43 +0200

Hi,

I've looked at the current implementation of the branding policy in GNOME
related packages to see what needs to be done for KDE, and I stumble over
various issues:

a) some packages (not all) Supplement branding-openSUSE, some of them with the
version number 10.2, some with some other version number (some of them even
with the correct one). I figured already out that supplementing 10.2 is
pointless, but what is the other reason behind that? Doesn't it mean that the
branding packages for GNOME will be installed in a pure KDE installation, or
vice versa. In addition it means that big parts of GNOME and KDE will be
installed for a minimal X installation, or a XFCE installation. What am I
missing?

b) the branding packages require the base packages, sometimes the base package
requires the branding package explicitely. shouldn't it require some meta
package that can be provided by any branding implementation?

c) why do branding packages require base packages? why do they require other
packages?

d) as we have this complicated construct with the version numbers based on the
distro base version number, how does that add to the game of having to update
the versioning during a security update ? the base package has to require an
updated version.. can we add the versioning scheme to the policy (I think
something like 11.0.X, where X is the incompatibility counter during
maintenance updates and 11.0 is the distro base version).

e) there was some parts in the wiki that mentioned that branding requirements
should be documented as comments alongside the sources in the spec file.
isn't there a better solution than that, like for example installing this
information alongside so that an actual branding editor can make use of this
information? or do we plan to rebuild source packages in the background?

f) what about packages all desktops share (like e.g. the wallpapers in
desktop-data-SuSE)? do we have to copy them and maintain them in a
gnome-session-branding-openSUSE and kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE ?

g) what is the list of algorithmic checkable rules of this branding policy ? I
believe that we need rpmlint checks for that, otherwise we'll never get it
right without a lot of testing.

h) what to do about packages where the upstream package would be empty, or
where openSUSE is the upstream? should the branding-openSUSE package then
provide the upstream package?

--
RPMLINT information under http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging/RpmLint