Re: [opensuse-packaging] PulseAudio plans for suse 11.0
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 18:07:26 +0100
Marcus Rueckert wrote:
On 2008-03-12 17:45:05 +0100, Christian Morales Vega wrote:
In any case what openSUSE will do is something must be cleared.
For what I understood Gnome is going to use PulseAudio yes or yes.
Upstream will port their apps to PulseAudio and openSUSE can't patch
all of them, correct?
GStreamer, xine... they can't have a default output for KDE and
another one for Gnome. KDE4 will use Phonon, that can use xine or
gstreamer like backend. Will KDE4 apps use PulseAudio when Phonon uses
gstreamer and ALSA directly when Phonon uses xine? In the first case
apps will have *two* per application volume controls (Phonon and
PulseAudio)?
Without a clear path this could be very confusing.

ideally pulseaudio and phonon would be just wrapper for that
functionally inside alsa.

Quoting the fedora-devel mail:
6. If you have an application that uses ALSA, please make sure that it
doesn't hardcode ALSA driver names (i.e. something like "hw:0"), it
should use "default" instead, which is now being redirected to
"pulse", our plugin for libasound. Hardcoding ALSA device names
(besides "default") is a bug in your application anyway, so here
you have yet another reason to fix that!

So there is an alsa plugin and if an application normally uses alsa
it will transparently use pulseaudio. No application change
required. Sounds sane to me. I wonder whether that also works for
applications that support surround sound such as quake4 though.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel