Re: [opensuse-packaging] PulseAudio plans for suse 11.0
  • From: Wade Berrier <wberrier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:54:10 -0600
Hello,

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 23:19 +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Tuesday 11 March 2008 19:17:47 wrote Wade Berrier:
Hi,

I know that PulseAudio is going to be the default sound server for
Gnome. Will it also be for KDE (or better yet, is it going to be a
distribution wide sound server?)

I can not tell what is planned, but we were happy to get rid of any extra
server process some years ago, because it can hurt sometimes and is not
needed anymore, what means it is just overhead (because either alsa does
mixing or hardware itself).

The reason I ask is because it would be great if all packages in the
distro were pre-configured to work against pulseaudio. That way no
matter what desktop environment you're using, sound will just work for
all apps.

well, it should be no problem if some apps use direct alsa and if some other
app gets started later what uses pulseaudio. At least as long pulseaudio
daemon gets started automatically (I see no reason why it should run always)
and pulseaudio itself is using alsa as well.

The idea would be to have pulseaudio go stright to hw:0, and not use
dmix for either pulseaudio, or anything else. That way the dmix issues
can be avoided, and all the cool features of pulse can be used.
Currently, I must stop pulseaudio to run this app, reconfigure alsa to
run that app, etc...

(I don't mean to begin the same debates that have been hashed out over
and over elsewhere, but was wondering if suse 11.0 would be the distro
where "sound just works")

If pulseaudio really is going to be the default sound server for gnome
users, it would be really really nice if all distributed apps would work
out of the box with pa without having to tweak things.

Wade
< Previous Next >