Re: [opensuse-packaging] [RFC Proposal] Distribution Branding (packages)
  • From: David Bolt <bcrafhfr-cnpxntvat@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:54:02 +0000
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:-

On Tue, Feb 26, David Bolt wrote:

I can see that. What I can't see is why there would be any branding in a
shared library. The only reason I could see is that there's an embedded
image included, and that's not a good idea if you're wanting to allow
for re-branding.

Maybe your application is having an animated splash screen,
which is drawn by code and not delivered as image?

I don't know if we still have such applications, but I know in
the past we had.

I know. When I was experimenting with rembrand, and demonstrating how
easy creating a de-branded installation could be, I found that xdm
displays one that was embedded in /usr/bin/BackGround (xdmbgrd). As it
was embedded, it was quite difficult to remove that image without either
a recompilation or replacing /usr/bin/BackGround with a script that just
returned an exit code of 0.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: http://www.distributed.net/ OGR-P2 @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~15Mkeys
SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1