Re: [opensuse-packaging] [RFC Proposal] Distribution Branding (packages)
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:35:04 +0100
Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx> writes:

Hallo.

Here is a first draft of first part of proposal: creating of
branding-enabled packages.

Let's give some background to the readers: This comes from the needs of
building appliances and distributions where we need to change the look
of the distribution but do not want to rebuild any of the binary
packages at all. Therefore we need to create some conventions that
allow the following:
* Easy replacement of all branding contents
* Figuring out which branding is used in a distribution to check that
everything is properly branded (e.g. rpm -qa '*-branding*' |grep -v
opensuse should be empty on an openSUSE distribution)

More should come later.

Let's add some usecases:

* Joe likes to create his own distribution called "Flocke" on openSUSE
and likes to replace everywhere the green SUSE geeko with a white
polar bear.

* Novell likes to release based on the openSUSE distribution their SUSE
Linux Enterprise Server. Thorsten is tasked with changing all
occurences of "openSUSE" with "SUSE Linux Enterprise Server".

* Tara prefers the upstream branding of the various openSUSE projects
and does not like to see openSUSE and Novell logos everywhere. She
wants to change her system and replace the custom branding everything
in an easy way.

Please add more - and reformulate the above ;-)

Proposal: Distribution Branding / Branding-Enabled Packages

Description of branding-enabled packages

Please add which packages we have and what constitutes branding, e.g.:
* Branding of artwork, e.g. desktop background, bootsplash,
OpenOffice.Org startup logo
* Branding of trademarked symbols, e.g. the SUSE geeko and openSUSE logo
in the KDE kicker menu
* Branding of default bookmarks, e.g. in Mozilla Firefox

Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany