Re: [opensuse-packaging] libraries renaming problems
  • From: Richard Guenther <rguenther@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:20:45 +0100 (CET)
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Michael Matz wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Dirk Mueller wrote:

the name opened - in the most cases this is sth like /usr/lib/libfoo.so).

I dislike this idea, because fileprovides cannot be versioned, so you're
loosing vital dependency information.

Yeah, for this case I'd rather the package which has dlopening components
to also simply mention the SONAME they open directly. I.e. exactly what
also autoreqprov would find out if it were a real DT_NEEDED dependency.

Yep. That's the alternative to requiring /usr/lib/libfoo.so. But you
need to do sth like

%ifarch x86_64 ia64 ppc64 s390x
Provides: libgcj_bc.so.1()(64bit)
%else
Provides: libgcj_bc.so.1
%endif

(with Requires: instead of course). Of course that doesn't help you if
the application dlopens libfoo.so and that is in the libfoo-devel package
(as required by the shlib policy) which does _not_ provide libfoo.so.1.

So, the file requires is still needed here (unless you want to require
libfoo-devel here). For versioning the soname requires should be added.
Thus, do both in this case.

For the same reason I don't think that filerequires for base packages
are a good idea. unless you want to rewrite and revalidate all scripts
in base to be compatible to the lowest common dominator. A pointless
effort.

Hmm, a good point.

Not really. Scripts in the base packages should restrict themselves to
whatever is provided by POSIX. (or LSB in our case)

You want that anyway, otherwise building a package for older versions
will start to randomly fail based on whatever fancy new feature you
used in your scripts.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <rguenther@xxxxxxx>