Re: [opensuse-packaging] problematic new path naming structure
  • From: Herbert Graeber <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:34:02 +0100

Jurzitza, Dieter schrieb:
> Dear listmembers,
> after a longer absence from upgrading I decided to test openSUSE 10.2 after it had had been released. Performing the latest kernel update an IMHO unlucky modification in the name distribution popped up that I would like to discuss.
>
> The directory /lib/modules/2.6.18.2-34 is remaining after kernel update to 2.6.18.8 and a part of the modules are linked into a corresponding path within 2.6.18.8 from there.
>
> IMHO this is a very ugly way to do things. If there are modules that are *not* kernel specific the corresponding directory should be called different.
>
> Why keep a reference to a kernel that is actually no reference to this specific kernel? IMHO this
> directory should be named in such a way that it is easy to understand that the modules contained within it are to a certain degree version independent, such as
>
> /lib/modules/2.6.18-persistent
>
> or whatsoever. Keeping the old name is a poor and irritating choice.

Usually I remove old subdirectories in /lib/modules after checking what
orphaned modules have been left. Now this task is more difficult. For
someone who doesn't known that there are links into the old modules
subdir it may be dangerous, because some modules will be lost.

How about copying modules from the old modules dir into the new one
instead of linking to it?

Cheers
Herbert