Re: [opensuse-packaging] .la files and dependencies, again
  • From: Dirk Mueller <dmueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:27:58 +0100
On Tuesday, 27. February 2007, Michal Marek wrote:
> $ ./a2
> ./a2: error while loading shared libraries ...

Well, if you link against it, then you want it to be used. Anyway, this has
absolutely nothing to do with libtool. If you don't use -Wl,--as-needed, then
you will get this behaviour. with -Wl,--as-needed it will work fine, because
the linker drops unnecessary dependencies (increasing overall startup
performance).

Unfortunately, your depending libraries usually have to be fixed to work
correctly with -Wl,--as-needed. I fixed a lot of instances of these kind of
bugs for libraries that KDE depends but I totally ignored GNOME related bugs.

Dirk