Re: [opensuse-packaging] Please update packages of libtidy an tidy!
  • From: Christoph Thiel <cthiel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:23:15 +0100
On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 02:54:06PM +0100, Sierk Bornemann wrote:

> I am the package maintaner of the openSUSE packages tidy/libtidy,
> apache2-mod_tidy and w3c-markup-validator.
>
> Reading, that openSUSE 10.2 Beta 2 is announced, I want to stress, that
> until today the factory packages of tidy and its library, libtidy are not
> up-to-date (they are from 2005!). Since a very while (several month) most
> recent versions of Tidy and libtidy are available at openSUSE's software
> repository on http://repos.opensuse.org/Tidy/. Why didn't you take these?
> Please update your packages in openSUSE factory and use the newer versions
> out of the Software repository, so that these most recent versions will
> make it into final openSUSE 10.2.

This is the first time I hear this request -- as of today, there is no
automated way to sync packages from the BS into Factory. Did you request an
update of those packages before?

Given the nature of the packages, I could imagine a late update exception.
However, we need buy-in from AJ and the relevant package maintainers. AJ,
Peter, Matthias?

> By the way: I want to have your ear, I want to propose, if it won't be
> attractive also to officially distribute the W3C Markup Validator
> (http://validator.w3.org/) with openSUSE on a regulary basis. Debian
> Etch and Fedora Core do this as well, these packages are part of the
> core distribution. It's in the W3 Consortium interest to spread the
> validator, having the benefit in mind, that local installed validators
> can keep the traffic to http://validator.w3.org/ in an affordable
> shape. The Validator packages are optimized for use on a local host/local
> net.
> Most recent W3C Validator packages for openSUSE are available at
> openSUSE's software repository on http://repos.opensuse.org/validators/
> . Recent version is 0.7.3. There will be an official update to version
> 0.7.4 on Tuesday, november 14th. I have allready prepared packages of
> this new version, they are waiting to be shipped. I will feed the
> openSUSE Build System with 0.7.4 sources, as soon as the official W3C
> valiator website has been updated to this new release.

That something for 10.3.

Best,
Christoph