Re: [opensuse-packaging] Attention: Lots of SUSE packages are built incorrectly
  • From: Marcus Rueckert <mrueckert@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 01:59:53 +0200
On 2006-04-20 21:28:37 -0200, Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> I would like to discuss with the SUSE community one mistake commonly
> done by SUSE packagers: more specifically - the RPM architecture in
> SUSE.
>
> I have found a LOT of noarch packages built for the i586 architecture
> in SUSE Linux 10.0.
>
> I propose to people to identify those packages, that should be made
> "noarch" but for some obscure reason are not.
>
> Most packages that were built in the incorrect way were documentation,
> but some others were written in Interpreted languages. (like Python)
>
> One example of interpreted language package that is i586 but should be
> noarch is :
> "eric" IDE
>
> I have not dive too deep, but I'm sure there are other examples.
>
> The other incorrectly packaged packages are docs - quick search returns me:
>
> linux:/mnt/cdrom/suse/i586 # ls | grep doc | sort | cat -n

you should note that you cant have different build architectures inside
a spec file. so if you build bind. and split of the docs from this
package, then the docs will be arch too. sad but true.

regarding eric. this is a python package. there is no /usr/share/python.
for pure python packages. so you have a eric for i386 which goes into
/usr/lib/python2.4 and a x86_64 which goes into /usr/lib64/python2.4.

that should explain the "weirdness" for you.

of course you could argue: write 2 spec files to generate the noarch
packages. but this increases the workload.

stuff like /usr/share/python or /usr/share/ruby might be
interesting.

darix

--
openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux