Re: [opensuse-packaging] Ideas for advanced Enhances / Suggests
  • From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 11:49:46 +0100
Pascal Bleser píše v St 04. 01. 2006 v 23:12 +0100:

> > My suggestion is simple:
> > libgda, but no oracle client library => do not suggest oracle plugin
> > libgda, but no msql client library => do not suggest msql plugin
>
> I don't quite agree.
> It really depends on the context, on what the user is doing.
>
> As Marian wrote, this is extremely complex to know (i.e. near unfeasible in my opinion with this
> approach).
> What would help is what aptitude is doing on Debian: differenciate between an explicit installation
> of a package (like: "yes, I want mysql") and implicit installations to resolve dependencies (install
> libgda-mysql, which will install mysql-shared as a dependency).
>
> Aptitude has the following ability: when you later remove the package libgda-mysql, it prompts the
> user to ask whether it should also remove mysql-shared (as long as it isn't needed by other
> dependencies). It's similar to a reference counting algorithm: when the last package that has
> mysql-shared as a dependency is removed and mysql-shared was installed implicitely (i.e. to resolve
> a dependency), then also remove mysql-shared (or, at least, prompt the user to do so).

It seems you are right. One can want install libgda on minimal system,
because (s)he wants to use databases, and (s)he can expect, that libgda
will support it.

I am going to add Enhances: libgda to libgda-xxx.

Your suggestion seems to be good:

You can enhance libgda by following packages:
libgda-mysql no additional dependencies
libgda-odbc list of additional dependencies: ...
libgda-oracle dependency problem: ...

Thinking about it, YaST already has a similar dialog for dependency
conflict. It also asks user for solution.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer