Re: [opensuse-packaging] [Proposal] Suggests/Enhances Support in RPM/YaST
  • From: Gustavo Niemeyer <gustavo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:30:29 -0200
> My idea about this is that there should be a switch in YaST
> "Automatically install packages that are suggested by other packages".
> This allows the users that just want to have a useful system to get
> all these packages without looking up hundreds of thousands of things
> and it allows the users that want to save every byte that is not
> really required on their disk to turn all suggests globally off. I

Interesting option indeed. I'm not sure if I'd like to have that as
the only possible way to handle the option, but looks like a good
start. Perhaps we could base on that to create some kind of user
interface to enable/disable additional suggested/recommended packages
on-the-fly.

> recommend to have this switch turned on by default because most users
> are most likely served best if they have too much software installed
> than when something is missing.

I'm not completely sure about this though. Depending on the network of
packages, installing a package could bring the whole repository
with it, and package management is not so useful anymore.

There's also the issue of space and bandwidth constraints. Depending on
your vendor's repository size, it may become impossible to install
everything, and even if you do install everything, it might mean getting
many uninteresting upgrades constantly.

> Another switch might be useful that selects whether YaST should
> display a dependency resolver question when the issue is only caused
> by honouring the suggests feature.

Yep.. that's part of the "expected behavior" issue. Notice that
installing a suggested package is not an atomic operation. You must
satisfy the dependencies of the suggested package as well, and the
suggested package and its requirements may have other suggestions.
Doing those operations without user knowledge is not an option,
in my opinion. It could bring a hundred packages to install a single
package with a single suggestion.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net