Re: [opensuse-packaging] Gaim 2.0 beta
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 21:45:20 +0100

James Ogley wrote:
>> Well, I already package the latest version of gaim (and my repository is a known source for finding
>> it), but I'm not sure whether I want to package 2.0 beta versions.

[...]

> The issue may be moot though, as out of the box it doesn't build.
> Looking into it, but oh boy were there a lot of syntax errors! :)

Has been building out-of-the-box for me, but spent a few hours backporting SUSE patches and enabling
all features, proper dependencies, fall back nicely with mozilla/mozilla-devel (on 9.3) instead of
mozilla-nss/mozilla-nss-devel (on 10.0), dbus support for the 10.0 package, etc...

>> The only viable option to me is to have another, separate repository (or rather repositories: apt,
>> rpm-md (yum), yast2, redcarpet) dubbed "experimental" where to provide such versions.
>
> A good plan all around really.

Done, contains all plugins and all features (as far as dependencies are available on older SUSE
versions), except the voice+video thing, will have to package SILC first (*puke*)
I've also backported (or rather "foreported" ;)) all the patches that were in SUSE 10.0's
gaim.src.rpm, at least those that were not integrated by upstream. Had to rewrite a few of them
because of source code changes in gaim 2.0.0.

Here are the RPMs:

http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-guru/experimental/gaim/

All the packages will be there as soon as Eberhard triggers the next sync on gwdg.de

I've only built for 10.0 and 9.3 (both on i686 and x86_64) as of now, and generated rpm-md (yum)
metadata only, using the following URL for the repository:

http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-guru/experimental/

Seems stable to me, at least until now, only been using it since a couple of hours (and only with
Jabber accounts).

BTW, I think I'm the entitled gaim packager, just had a look at my first %changelog entry in my
gaim.spec (even if I rewrote it from scratch for 2.0.0-beta1):
* Thu Aug 21 2003 Pascal Bleser <guru@xxxxxxxxxxx> 0.67
;))

cheers
- --