Re: [opensuse-packaging] Gaim 2.0 beta
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 11:58:01 +0100

Bjorn Tore Sund wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, James Ogley wrote:
>
>>> Well, I already package the latest version of gaim (and my repository is a known source for finding
>>> it), but I'm not sure whether I want to package 2.0 beta versions.
>> Ah-ha, I thought so, rpm -qi on my box said it's a SUSE-built package
>> (it's from supplementary/GNOME).

SL 10.0 already includes gaim 1.5.0, which is the latest stable.
But I also provide 1.5.0 for SL 9.3, 9.2, 9.1

>> One thing that crossed my mind, because of the possible stability
>> issues, was to do the same as I do with the GIMP development packages,
>> and AbiWord ones (when there's a development tree open) and call it
>> gaim-beta

Note sure about "gaim-beta"... users won't be notified automatically of an upgrade to gaim 2.0.0
stable and will stay on gaim-beta if they don't pay attention.

Obviously, gaim-beta must have
- ---8<--------------
Obsoletes: gaim
Provides: gaim
Provides: gaim = %{version}
- ---8<--------------

>> The issue may be moot though, as out of the box it doesn't build.
>> Looking into it, but oh boy were there a lot of syntax errors! :)
>
> Huh? It built perfectly on my SuSE 10.0 installation. Sure you're
> not just missing libraries? Don't recommend making it generally
> available, though, it causes X to freeze _very_ frequently.

Ok, thanks for sharing your experience with gaim 2.0.0 beta ;)

I'm currently packaging it, which includes backporting all SUSE patches, but I won't include it in
my repository just yet, will put it somewhere else (additional repository, rpm-md only) and announce
it when finished (intended for bleeding-edge testing only).

cheers
- --
_\_v FOSDEM 2006 -- 25+26 February 2006 in Brussels