Re: [opensuse-packaging] A doubt about java rpms
  • From: Daniel Bornkessel <dbornkessel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:37:51 +0100
SUSE is switching to JPackage spec files at the moment, using as much as
possible of their work (and contribute back of course :) ).
SPEC files of the 1.4.2 packages are already switched, 1.5 are on the to-do
list for today :)
The JPackage solution at the moment is to create a 'nosrc' package, which
requires to rebuild the package ( http://www.jpackage.org/rebuilding.php ).
This is not a very user-friendly way but the only possible solution at the
moment (for the OSS version).
For SUSE we currently ship the JDKs with the distribution. For the OSS version
we could include 'nosrc' packages along with a how-to on the openSUSE site on
how to install these packages.
In the middle term we should try to switch to the open source tool chain
gcj/classpath to avoid these problems.

Best Regards,
Daniel

> > > Just curious. And what about a script that ask user to download the
> > > proper *.bin files from sun.com site, and use modified suse spec file
> > > to make the rpms?. User then could install its own rpms. Would this be
> > > legal?.
> >
> > That would be the approach of the jpackage project
> > [http://www.jpackage.org/], if I get it right. Let's not try to duplicate
> > their effort.
>
> Thanks for the link.
> No, I'll not duplicate their effort ;-)