Scribus 1.3.1 + about packaging development versions (was: Scribus 1.3.1)
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:52:36 +0100

Rauch Christian wrote:
> Marcel Hilzinger schrieb:
>>> I made an RPM yesterday on SL 9.3. works on 10.0, too. Anybody
>>> interested?
> I would be more interesting in how you managed to create this RPM!

Marcel has built it on 9.3, which might not run into that issue because it's using another autofools
version or something (gosh, do I hate autotools as well).

> On SL 10.0 i always ran into Bug #2717 [1] :(
> So i am waiting for 1.3.2 where this bug should be fixed and am
> fiddling with 1.3.0 for the while.

If 1.3.2 is not scheduled to be released soon, we could retrofit a patch for 1.3.1 from CVS.

I already have scribus packages but I currently stick with 1.2.x because 1.3.x is the "unstable" branch:
http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/rpm-navigation.php?cat=Office/scribus/

Which brings me to the same issue, again and again...

It would be no problem to package 1.3.x, but I'm not sure the casual user should use that version.
At least she should not do so without knowing it's a development release and that she has to expect
bugs. She should also be offered the choice between using the stable version or go with the
development releases.

But there's no real way to do that with rpm, yast2, or any other package manager frontend.
If I package scribus 1.3.1, it will be in the repos and regardless of whether I also keep 1.2.x in
there, end-users will just see a candidate upgrade of scribus to 1.3.1 in their
yast2/y2pmsh/apt/yum/smart/redcarpet.

*Unless* there are several (apt-rpm/rpm-md/yast2/opencarpet) repositories:
- - one for stable versions
- - one for unstable/development versions

But I got kind of bashed on the opensuse ML for mentioning something that's similar to Debian's
approach (seems some people working as SUSE devs are allergic to anything that smells like Debian..
they do have some good ideas too though ;)).

Nevertheless, I still think it's a good idea.

Comments ? please ? :)

cheers
- --
_\_v FOSDEM 2006 -- 25+26 February 2006 in Brussels

< Previous Next >