Re: [opensuse-packaging] The beginning of a repo
  • From: David Bolt <bcrafhfr-cnpxntvat@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 23:25:09 +0100
On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:-

>Hi,
>
>On Tuesday, October 11, 2005 at 22:27:47, houghi wrote:

>> On an other level. Would it be possible to place a `standard` example at
>> http://www.opensuse.org/SUSE_Build_Tutorial#Examples Something that would
>> just require a configure, make and make install in real life.
>
>Thats pretty hard to do. Because once youre switching from packaging
>scripts to packaging real binarys that you create during build you add a
>whole new level to the process. In your current spec you really only use
>
>1.) Description

Which, at present, doesn't actually have anything there to describe what
the package does. I had forgotten to mention to Houghi that, as the
author, he was best placed to add a package description himself.

>2.) %install
>3.) %files
>
>But the most complicated section of an spec is mostly the %build
>section. Plus once youre building something in %build you have to make
>sure about the build environment.

This is where I would use autoconf, automake and, if required, libtool.
Most of the RPMs I build have a %build consisting of basically the
following:

%build
./configure <any options that are required>
make

So far, with those I've built[0], that seems to have sufficed.

>So there is no standard spec that is
>usefull i think...

Not a single all-encompassing one, I would agree, as it would probably
include unnecessary options[1]. Slightly more specific examples could be
useful. E.g. one showing how to add new libraries, or maybe one for
building a package containing binary applications. As opensuse.org
already has one example each for KDE, Gnome and Perl, a few new ones may
come in handy for those just starting out and wanting to learn.

[0] Nothing too complex as yet. I haven't found anything that's fairly
complex, something I want, and that isn't available as either a SUSE RPM
or has a spec file included so I can build an RPM.

[1] like calling ldconfig in %post and %postun when not installing
libraries.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s: http://www.distributed.net/
AMD 1800 1Gb WinXP/SuSE 9.3 | AMD 2400 160Mb SuSE 8.1 | AMD 2400 256Mb SuSE 9.0