Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-networking (8 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-networking] Samba Domain membership disappearing
  • From: Paul Zirnik <tami@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 11:39:39 +0100
On Saturday 10 February 2007 08:07, Scott M. O'Bryan wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm new to the list and a somewhat new "full-time" Linux user (after
> flirting with it for several years, I've made the plunge on my desktop.
> I do, however, still have a number of Windoze machines in my house and a
> Windows Server 2003 Domain server. I manage all my user accounts
> through that domain server. I've configured my OpenSuSE 10.2 system to
> be a member of my Windows domain using Yast and have told it to
> authenticate using the domain server (which configures Kerberos and
> whatnot).
>
> Now for the problem... Most of the time, everything works fine and I'm
> able to authenticate using my Domain UserId and Password. Sometimes,
> however, I find myself unable to log in via the Domain user and when I
> try to enter the username/password of the domain user, it returns a
> message as "login failed". I find that I'm not able to sign into the
> domain again until either both machines are rebooted (the domain server
> THEN the Linux Desktop system) OR I log in as root and rejoin the
> domain. I do notice that when this happens, Yast cannot verify my
> computer as part of the domain until I rejoin.
>
> This is REALLY annoying and I'm looking for information on how I can go
> about diagnosing this issue.

Im not very familar with samba and domains, but at least i have
an idea what maybe happens.

From how you describe the problem i would guess you using DHCP
to assign ipaddresses to your machines and when you come to the
situation that the login does not work, your linux machine got a different
ipaddress and also hostname. Therefore the linux machine looses
his machine accout, because it now looks like a other machine to the
domain server. The fact that a reboot of the linux and the domain server
(which is also your DHCP server i guess) fixes the issue hardens my
theory, because the DHCP leases would be reset on reboot and you
probably got the "old" (already registered) ipaddress and hostname back.

regards,
Paul