Re: [opensuse-multimedia] Opensuse 11.4 no sound and Amarok not playing tracks (Discussion closed)
At Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:05:45 -0600,
Donn Washburn wrote:

On 03/11/2011 03:03 PM, Ralph DeWitt wrote:
On Friday, March 11, 2011 02:36:54 PM jdd wrote:
Le 11/03/2011 20:15, Ralph DeWitt a écrit :
HI all:
I have done a install of openSUSE 11.4 on a new machine. I have noticed
to problems. One sound does not seem to work and amarok dose not seem to
be playing tracks. Can someone help me trouble shoot and correct the
problem.
hello,
this list is for members creating multimedia content, not for general
help. see opensuse list or any forum.

That said, usually such problem come from some mixer entry muted

jdd
jdd:
Thanks for your help. But the mixer is not muted. Now I suggest that you
change the list topic to limit the discussion to multimedia creation only in
http://lists.opensuse.org as it currently says:opensuse-multimedia
English
"Discussion about multimedia in the openSUSE distribution" I feel my asking
for help with a broken Amarok (multimedia application) and a broken sound
system sub component is with in the current guide lines of this list. But in
order to avoide conflict I will take this problem to another list. And I
wiil
remember the unfrendlyness of this distributions mailing lists when I begin
the process of looking for another distribution.
Check their permission on /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer. For some reason
openSuSE sets them up as 660.

Well, first off, most apps shouldn't use /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer.
These are OSS devices. So, if any, check /dev/snd/* files.

Secondly, the device permissions are controlled in two ways: normal
Unix file permissions and ACL in addition. In recent distros, the
permissions for desktop users are added/removed dynamically via ACL
using ConsoleKit. Check the output of "getfacl /dev/snd/*"

As the last (but really unrecommended) resort, you can put your id
into audio group to allow the access permanently. In this case, don't
forget to re-login.

Takashi