Re: [opensuse-multimedia] Re: [opensuse-packaging] Proposal for a multimedia team.
  • From: Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 09:21:07 +0200
On 11/23/2010 08:47 PM, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
On Tuesday 23 November 2010, Stephan Barth wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 12:55:06PM +0200, Dave Plater wrote:

ATM when I need help I use the packaging list but sometimes the help is
blind to the needs of multimedia ie. jack, it would be nice to be able
to discuss these things with more experienced multimedia oriented people.
I've cc'ed this to opensuse-multimedia list but I wonder how many people
actually subscribe to it?

I am subscribed to this list as well, because I am focussed on music
production. I wanted to start some discussion soon mainly for creating
overview of applications with introduction and a MIDI hardware list.

More to come soon. As soon as I have more time to try out things.

I forgot that I was subscribed to this mailing list, because it had very
little traffic lately. In the past I've answered some questions about MIDI
here. I am a software developer, with almost all my pet projects and
contributions related to MIDI [1]. This area is in a very bad shape in almost
all Linux distros, and I doubt that anybody working in music production using
MIDI would think that openSUSE (or any other Linux) would be an alternative.
I'm not interested in packaging, but I'm still using openSUSE, so if you
don't mind I would try to contribute to the discussion.

Regards,
Pedro

[1]
http://plcl.users.sourceforge.net/projects.shtml
http://www.ohloh.net/accounts/plcl

Great, I recognize a couple of packages and am primarily a packager and I
concentrate on multimedia where I'm a maintainer and I sent out
this message to try and get a couple of other multimedia maintainers to form a
team but there doesn't seem to be much interest. I'm open to
suggestions about improvements to multimedia in openSUSE, one thing I would
like to achieve is a jack that just works with no tweaking but
it seems there is a security problem with a %post rpm script granting real time
rights when jack is installed.
Regards
Dave P