Re: [suse-multimedia-e] xine dvd support 9.1
  • From: Patrick Shanahan <wideglide@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:20:06 -0500
* Marc van Munnen <m.van.munnen@xxxxxxxxx> [11-14-04 08:53]:
> For Xine with CSS-unscrambling you may also look here:
> http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/
> It's just al legal question. MS has paid the huge licence-fee, and SuSE
> did not because (I presume) it's too expensive. So officially it may be
> illegal to watch your DVD's at your pc with Linux.

Watching DVDs is *not* illegal as such, just as being a passenger in a
automobile which is speeding is not illegal.

Software allowing the defeat of encryption methods to protect
proprietary property is illegal, aiui, but I am not sure whether it is
the software itself or the use of the software.

disclaimer: IANAL

HOG # US1244711 Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/photos

< Previous Next >