Re: [suse-multimedia-e] sound cards med-high end
  • From: Juan Erbes <jerbes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 23:41:21 -0300

Curtis Rey wrote:

On Friday 26 March 2004 14:39, jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

** I've lived in the real world enough, we're all here because we aint
all there **
I am turning one of my Suse boxes into a video editing-movie/dvd
creating box.. at least that is the current plan

Ok, first off, the SBLive (5.1) cards don't do midi that well - if at all.

Don't do midi?
I have a SBlibe, and it works 10 points in midi (depending the soundfont that You loads in the memory with sfxload). With a soundfont of high quality, from about 40 mb, You can get very relistic instruments.

They have a fair amount of features and seem nice enough. However, when the devs working on this finally got up to some appreciable amount of speed the Audigy came out - and tech heads there loved the idea of 24 bit over 16 bit sound - of course. So, it seems that the better part of the ongoing devel was more focused on the Audigy 24 bit cards. I just bought an Audigy 1 for about $60 (and of course two freaking days later the put it on sale and knock of $20 bucks ... grrrr!). I find this card to be fairly robust and the sound quality is very nice IMHO. I can't tell you about the Audigy 2 (LS/ZS versions) but I would say a good bet is the in fact an Audigy card.
Turtle Beach puts out a Santa Cruz version (lol - zealots may not buy merely for the namesake "Santa Cruz"/Santa Cruz Operations [aka SCO]). Turtle Beach is known for putting out Pro grade cards - some can be very expensive. The Santa Cruz cards are 20 bit and fairly nice. I do believe however that the driver devel has been more by OSS/OpenSound more over - they make fairly nice drivers but are proprietary in some cases. Also the Turtle Beach cards (including the SC version) has been known to have I/O anomolies or "tendencies" (if you will) that can lead to the off problems with programs - due to the mem addresses vs the programs that can conflict at times. I have not used the SC card so I could be wrong. The Creative Labs Audigy (v 1) should do you nicely.

If you're in a position not to be so concerned over money then there are other Pro cards to discuss. I assume that a 24 bit consumer card such as the Audigy would otherwise meet your needs. If not repost and I can lead you to some sites so you can check them out for yourself.