Re: [suse-multimedia-e] Web Camera Help Needed
  • From: Eduard Avetisyan <dich_ed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 03:43:19 -0800 (PST)

Hi Ralpf,

> I have just bought and installed a QuickCam Messanger from
> Logitech.
Assuming you've got a USB cam (most common from currently sold
ones), you'd better try to check first if your camera is
recognized by the system. use /sbin/lsusb or KDE control center
to list your usb devices. Also, check in the /var/log/messages
to see if the driver has initialized. You'll find which
/dev/video? interface your camera is bind to (normally,
/dev/video, which is linked to /dev/video0, unless you've got a
TV card or another cam on your system). Afterwards try to get a
picture out of your cam using xawtv (add -c /dev/video? to
specify which video interface you want to attach to). xawtv
should work.

Then you can use your /dev/video? information to put into
preferences of gnomemeeting. BTW, it (gnomemeeting) worked quite
unstable for me - even on a local network it was hanging after
several minutes of conference, and the sound and picture quality
was not very good... Hope you have a better experience! :)

Cheers
Eduard