RE: [suse-multimedia-e] no MIDI from SoundBlaster Live!
  • From: Pieter Hulshoff <hulshoff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 14:04:11 +0200
Glenn Holmer wrote:
> Just upgraded to SuSE 8.0 from 7.2. I had the SB Live working great
> under 7.2, with soundfonts for MIDI and everything. Now under 8.0,
> KDE's Control Center shows me nothing under Sound/MIDI. MIDI files
> don't play even after using sfxload. gamix now shows a breathtaking
> panoply of options, but I still can't get MIDI sound. What am I
> missing?

I seem to be having similar problems with SuSE 8.0:
- KDE's Control Center shows me nothing under Sound/MIDI
- MIDI files don't play in many programs

However:
after sfxload (I linked the default to the SBLIVE 8MB soundfont), I can:
- play midi through pmidi (to the correct port of course)
- play midi in smurf (but can't save the darn soundfonts! :()
- play midi in shaketracker (after setting the correct output port)
- play midi in kmid (but I do have to load the file directly; it doesn't work by
clicking on the file in Konquerer, and the preview doesn't work either)

It seems something is not quite right, but at least I'm a tad ahead of you. :)
See if you can get some sound through pmidi. Perhaps we can figure this one out
together.

In the mean time: if someone can tell me how to get Smurf to save my soundfonts
I'd be much obliged...

Regards,

Pieter Hulshoff

--
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
(H L Mencken)