RE: [suse-multimedia-e] no MIDI from SoundBlaster Live!
  • From: Pieter Hulshoff <hulshoff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 14:04:11 +0200
Glenn Holmer wrote:
> Just upgraded to SuSE 8.0 from 7.2. I had the SB Live working great
> under 7.2, with soundfonts for MIDI and everything. Now under 8.0,
> KDE's Control Center shows me nothing under Sound/MIDI. MIDI files
> don't play even after using sfxload. gamix now shows a breathtaking
> panoply of options, but I still can't get MIDI sound. What am I
> missing?

I seem to be having similar problems with SuSE 8.0:
- KDE's Control Center shows me nothing under Sound/MIDI
- MIDI files don't play in many programs

after sfxload (I linked the default to the SBLIVE 8MB soundfont), I can:
- play midi through pmidi (to the correct port of course)
- play midi in smurf (but can't save the darn soundfonts! :()
- play midi in shaketracker (after setting the correct output port)
- play midi in kmid (but I do have to load the file directly; it doesn't work by
clicking on the file in Konquerer, and the preview doesn't work either)

It seems something is not quite right, but at least I'm a tad ahead of you. :)
See if you can get some sound through pmidi. Perhaps we can figure this one out

In the mean time: if someone can tell me how to get Smurf to save my soundfonts
I'd be much obliged...

Pieter Hulshoff

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
(H L Mencken)
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.