Re: Xine 0.9.8 on SuSE 7.3 sound problem [Problem Solved]
  • From: "Ralph F. De Witt" <ralphfdewitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:02:17 -0800

Hi all:
Thanks to all who helped, Joe & Sesil Morris, Wolfi and all others. I now
have sound in Xine 0.9.8 running on SuSE 7.3 pro. I installed xine rpms from
http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/~jcm/skyblade/ , the only problem was a
error on the ui rpm about not being able to install some icons. This I was
advised to ignore. Wolfi pointed out that I could start DVD's from Kongi and
that worked but no sound. What worked was a email from Joe & Sesil Morris "
I just worked on this last night.  Go into your //.xine/config (home
directory, and change the d4d device from /dev/rdvd to /dev/dvd (I would
also change /dev/cdaudio to /dev/cdrom).  Then DVDs will work.  With
mine, I tried with -A alsa05, and it worked in VCDs but not DVDs, so I
tried -A oss, and sound worked in both.  HTH." After making the config edits,
downloading and installing the oss sound module, I was able to call xine from
a console window or application link and play a DVD using the Nav button on
the GUI. The key to sound was the oss driver. The other edits cleared up the
start up problems. Thanks to all, and if I missed your name no slight is
intended, it is just so many helped with this problem and I have lost track.
Thanks
- --

Ralph
- --
It said uses Windows 98 or better so I installed SuSE 7.3
Proud user of SuSE 7.3 Professional
Register Linux User 168814 ICQ #49993234
GPG Public Key available at http://www.keyserver.net
Key fingerprint = 6426 1CFF 0987 9D51 76D6  06BC F22A CFF4 559A 03E7

  • No further messages